Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

August 13, 2009

Reading Incentive!

Here is one way to encourage your students (and kids at home) to read more.

First, I believe that reading is reading, so this can be adapted to those kids who love comic books, graphic novels, or children's magazines!

I am starting a new reading incentive with the child I tutor! Here is how it will work:

1. Have the child choose a book she wants to read!

2. We will read this book together. (I tutor in reading, so I want to make sure the comprehension is there when we read).

3. Once the book is finished, I will ask comprehension questions as well as if the book was enjoyable. Sample questions will be:

1. Tell me about the main character.
2. What happens in the story? (or chapter)
3. How did you feel about the ending?
4. What would you have done if you were in the character's shoes?
5. What was your favorite part? Why?
6. Did you have any connections while reading the story?

4. For every book we read, I am going to give out a "BOOK BUCK"

5. Once the predetermined amount is earned, she can use her book bucks to buy a prize.

FYI: In the classroom, this could come from a prize box or a free book from Scholastic book clubs. Because I am going to do this with the child I tutor, I am going to have her earning a specific prize. (For example, I know she wants glitter pens, so that will be her first prize.)


Happy Reading Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Another motivator for reading is watching tv with the volume down and closed caption on. What's more motivating than "reading" a TV show that a child chooses?

    Janelle (Texas teacher)

    ReplyDelete