Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

October 8, 2009

My Favorite Poem

I love poetry!

There are so many ways a poem can be used in a classroom. Today I am going to share some of my favorite lessons that I use with my favorite poem.


Sarah Sylvia Cynthia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out" by Shel Silverstein

There is SO MUCH to do with this poem!

Here a few of my lesson ideas I have done in my room over the years:


1. Visualization: I begin the lesson by asking the students to draw their favorite dessert. We discuss the different responses. I then say how I can see all these desserts in my head. I even draw my own dessert and describe it with details. Next, I have my students listen as I read aloud the
first section of "Sarah." I ask them to draw what see in their minds and write words that show me those pictures. We do this two more times as I finish the poem.

Then I read the poem a second time so students can add more details to their pictures and more words to their list. We then share our drawings and the words that made out pictures in out head more vivid.

Kids really love this activity! I have even taught it in a special education room.

2. Alliteration: This poem is filled with this poetic device. It is even in the title. I introduce the concept and give some examples. Then each student gets a copy of this poem and reads it aloud to a partner. The partners then underline all the examples of alliteration. We then write our own alliteration poems and share them with the class. I ask the audience to listen for new examples from the poems to reinforce the concept.

3. Word Choice: This is a great way to teach this writing trait. First I hold up an empty mini trash can. I ask the kids to describe it which isn't easy because it is empty. I then add different objects to the trash bucket and use descriptive words and then discuss word choice. Next, I read the poem to my students asking the students to write the descriptive word and phrases that stick out. After my second reading of the poem, we discuss the word choice the author used and why. The students attempt to write their own poem to reflect word choice.


Oh... Remember to take to gargabe out!

No comments:

Post a Comment