Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

January 19, 2010

Award Winners !

The announcement came for the Children's 2010 Book Awards. I stopped by Barnes and Nobles to look at these books and the clerk in the children's department said they sold out yesterday. LOL

Here are the winners:

Newbery 2010 Winner: When You Reach Me.
A science fiction novel by Rebecca Stead. The book revolves around a 12-year-old named Miranda, her single mom, and their life in a Manhattan apartment building in 1979.




Caldecott 2010 Winner: The Lion and The Mouse. A fable illustrated by Jerry Pinkney who said he had long been moved by the tale of a mouse who helps the lion, a story of how the underdog can prove as mighty as a king.

Seeing these books got me to thinking to my favorite award winners. I have so many picture books I love, so I think I will save that post for another day! But, here are some of my favorite Newbery books.

As a child I loved the book: From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg. I just loved the idea of sleeping in a museum, in NYC.

As a teacher, I have read with my students the following Newbery winners, Dear Mr. Henshaw, Walk Two Moons, and Bridge to Terabitha. Wonderful class discussions and lessons come from these books!

What are your favorite books? What are you favorite Newbery books?

Happy Reading !!

No comments:

Post a Comment