Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

February 23, 2010

Writing Prompts

My weekly e-mail with teaching ideas from the website Mailbox Magazine arrived today and it had a writing prompt section.

It reminded me when I had my first classroom. We would write in journals daily for about fifteen minutes. I even kept my own journal. When the timer went off, I would randomly take five journals. (These journals were always so helpful in planning writing lessons.) Then, I asked a few kids to volunteer share their writing. I always enjoyed this part of my day, so I thought I'd share.

Mailbox's
journal prompts for a week's worth of writing:

* Write a want ad for the perfect pet. (My personal favorite)
* List five things that could cause someone to laugh.
* Write three ways that a shoe and a hammer are alike. Then write three ways they are different.
* Write a riddle that gives clues about your favorite pastime.
* What does it mean to be brave? Write about a time when you or someone you know acted brave.

Here are a few of my favorite prompts I used in my classroom:

* If you could have a superpower, what would it be and why?
* What is your favorite color? Explain why you love that color so much.
* Write a Thank You note to someone who is not expecting it.
* If you could be a character in a book, who would you be? What would you do in the story that is different than the book.
* What will you be doing in ten years from now?

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment