Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

May 14, 2010

Make a List..... Turn it into a Poem

It is that time of year when the school year and even the students get a little crazy!

Here is a fun and easy poetry activity! I recently taught this to my first graders and they loved it!

1. Choose a topic. I choose "students" to model my brainstorming and poem writing!

2. Have each student tell you one word to describe the topic. I put them all on chart paper.

3. Because I was working with first graders, I circled my favorite six words.

4. I then modelled the format of the poem.


Students
by: Literacy Teacher

Learn!
Listening
Make friends
Reading
Respectful
Play math games
Smile!
Have fun!

5. I ask the students to tell me their topic as they go back to their desks.

The students enjoy sharing their poems with their peers!

Happy Writing !

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! How do you explain to the students the definition of a poem. They usually think poems have to rhyme? What would you tell a 1st grader about that? If you have any ideas let me know(gundersonrachelle@hotmail.com)...I just want them to love poetry and UNDERSTAND it. :)
    -Rachelle
    www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete