Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

May 28, 2010

Making Inferences

One of my followers mentioned she loves finding new books for teaching the comprehension strategy of making inferences.

I struggled with this concept year after year. When I started using picture books to introduce inferences, it started to click more for me and the kidos! LOL

Here are a few of my favorite books to teach inference:

Smoky Night by Eve Bunting
The Stranger by Chris Van Allsburg
The Three Pigs by David Wiesner
Flotsam by David Wiesner
Big Al by Andrew Clements
Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School by Mark Teague

To teach inference I also cut out different pictures from magazines to look at the scene or the person's facial expressions. Another tool I have used it covering up the text of a picture book and making inferences about the story. I then go back to read the story. We compare our visual interpretations with the text.


Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I love teaching inferencing. To introduce I have my kids play charades.

    I cut out pictures of faces and hide everything but the eyes. Then I have the kids guess what emotion the face is showing based on just the eyes.

    I also use comic strips to show inferencing because they are perfect!

    Great post! I can't wait to use some of those books. I have used some of the ones you mentioned (I love using The Stranger!). I also like "Tuesday" by David Wiesner. It has almost no words.

    ReplyDelete