Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

August 6, 2010

Back to School Read Alouds !

It is that time again! Some teachers are already back in the classroom! I hope their first day was FABULOUS! Other teachers are planning away!

Here are some first week read alouds, I have used in the past. Give them a try!


The Teacher from the Black Lagoon by: Mike Thaler
In 4th grade I read this to my students and we discussed how anxious the main character was to meet his new teacher. We made a chart of character traits that described the teacher. I used this chart as a jumping point for the students to write their own version of story.

In first grade, after reading this story make a T-chart. On one side put Mrs. Green and on the other side put your name ( or the name of the kindergarten teachers from last year ). Have the students tell you the similarities and differences of each teacher.

Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes
A great book for kindergarten and first grade. After reading the book, talk about how she worries about school. Have each student draw a picture of what they were worried about before school started. Have them write a sentence to go with the picture. If you are in a class of kidos who need help just write the sentence on the bottom of the page. Then have the pages displays on a bulletin board or make it into a class book!

Here are two more fun books. I have never read these, but they seem like great read alouds with a lot of great themes!

This is a great book for 2nd and 3rd graders!
Tiffani did not do anything exciting during summer vacation. She had a boring summer and is not looking forward to going back to school. When her teacher calls on her to talk about summer, she begins to tell a tall tale.


This is a great read aloud for 5th and 6th graders!
Thirteen-year-old Jackie wants to write a novel the summer before he starts high school. There's just one problem - he can't get past the first sentence. His friends are no help! Before the summer is over, everything Jackie has counted on to stay the same has changed!

Also take a look at these favorites I posted last year by clicking on the link:

More Back to School Read Alouds

Happy Back to School Reading !!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am SO glad I happened upon your blog tonight! Love these read aloud ideas. I teach third grade and will have to try and find a copy of Tiffany's weird! We don't get the kids for another week so I might just get lucky! I am your newest follower! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the recommendations! I'm going to try to find the "How I survived my summer vacation" book!

    ReplyDelete