Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

September 13, 2010

Making Predictions

In first grade, there is always a wide range of ability levels. One way to have all students participate in literacy responses is through pictures.

Today I introduced the concept of predictions to my first graders. I talked about how a prediction is a guess about what will happen next in a story. I introduced the concept of a "Picture Prediction"

I read aloud the first half of Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes. I stopped at the part where Lilly is mad at her teacher for taking her prized possessions away. Lilly is drawing a picture of her teacher.

This is where I asked the students to think about what kind of picture Lilly was drawing when she was so mad. I modelled my own picture prediction and then I asked the students to make their own picture predictions. Their pictures were so cute. Some students put horns on the teacher and other students colored him red to show how the teacher was mad at Lilly. A few students who are writing added " Mr. Mean Teacher" to their picture.

Tomorrow we will share our pictures and talk about how close our predictions were to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment