Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

January 22, 2011

Non-fiction

Here is one way to engage students in reading nonfiction:

1. Partner students up.

2. Introduce the topic/nonfiction book. This week the book I read aloud was about Colonial America and the topic was "food from colonial times."

3. Have students make a prediction about the topic. I had the students partnerships write their list of what they thought colonial kids ate and drank.

4. Read aloud the book/text.

5. I had my students take notes. Then we discussed and compared our predictions.

Pros of this type of lesson:

1. Keeps the students engaged b/c they are active learners.
2. Reading aloud a nonfiction text helps with comprehension.
3. Making predictions and then discussing new learning makes it more meaningful to the students.

Happy Reading !

No comments:

Post a Comment