Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

March 28, 2011

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I have been working with a group of kindergarten students. They are struggling with understanding the concept that letters have sounds. I had a variety of pictures (i.e. boat, ball, kitten, kite, robot, pizza, penguin) ready for today's lesson.

I pulled out the 5 letters and placed them across the top of a chart. I gave each student a picture. I said "Tell me what picture you have." I then said, "What sound do you hear at the beginning of the word?" Then I asked, "What letter can you place the picture under?" Each student took turns. Then I passed out a new set of pictures and we did the activity again.

I gave one of my students the picture of the kitten. I asked, "What is that a picture of?"

He responded, "It is a cat."

I replied, "Yes, it is a cat, but it is a special kind of cat. What do we call a cat that is a baby?"

He said, "A baby cat"

I responded, "Yes, it is a baby cat, but we use another name for a baby cat. Do you know the word for baby cat?"

He replied, "Max"

I said, "No, honey, it is not Max."

He replied with innocent eyes, "Well, then you better call my Mom and Dad because that is what we call the baby cat at home."

I could not help but giggle and think "from the mouths of babes."

1 comment:

  1. Love this story! That's why teaching can be so much fun! Kids do say the wildest things.

    ReplyDelete