Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

December 2, 2013

In First Grade Today

I was in a first grade classroom working with a small group for reading. They were playing a game called "BOOM." 

The teacher had a cup full of sticks with words. The students would pull out a word and finger spell the word. Then they would use it in a sentence. I love how the teacher had them finger spelling the sounds as well has using the word in a sentence to express their understanding of word meaning. Some of the sticks had "BOOM" on it. If they pulled boom out of the cup they had to put all their sticks back in the cup and they are out of the game. 

I am pretty sure I have seen this game floating around a blog. I just can't remember who had it posted. 

I also think this would be a great review game for a test with vocabulary words, science terms, social studies concepts. The ideas are endless. I am sure with 4th or 5th graders could use this in a small reading group, but after reading a chapter in a book there could be comprehension questions.  

I loved the game and I think I may use it with the kido I tutor. 

Happy Reading! 

1 comment:

  1. Such a great idea! I love how you explained it, too!

    ReplyDelete