Sharing my LOVE of Literacy!

If you can read this, thank a teacher !!

January 18, 2015

Loving the New Job

I have been working in my new job for two weeks now. I am still learning the students names. I am loving be back with 4th and 5th grades. They have great personalities!

I am lucky enough to have a classroom and I spent three days cleaning out the classroom and organizing things. I even found a supplies request from 1969! LOL.

The closet before and after:
 
Every shelf was loaded with old books and manuals!  

I removed a shelf & added a spring rod
Now I have a spot for my coat and bag. 

I am teaching main idea and details to grade 4.

I started with a lesson on visual text:
 

In grade 4, I had mystery main idea bags.  
Students loved this activity!
We then moved onto nonfiction texts. 


The students will do stations at the end next week, so I can assess their understanding. I am hoping they think it's fun and do not realize I am testing them. LOL 

I did some inference work with the 5th graders. I will take some pictures this week to share! 

I have a lot of students to service and I am still trying to find a plan book templet that I like. My schedule is different everyday, so I feel a bit disorganized when planning. 

My husband saw this on Facebook. I thought it was funny: 


It's been a busy and nice first two weeks! I am so glad it is a three day weekend!
Happy Reading! 


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new job! I feel your pain on cleaning out! I moved into my 8th classroom (maybe 9th...I have lost count) and did an initial clean in August. I took a day this weekend and spent 4 hours going through cupboards. Ugh! I feel so guilty, but I tossed tons of stuff. I decided long ago that anything older than me automatically got discarded. Now I am thinking anything older than my students is a better guide! I struggle with getting rid of resource books because no one wants them, but I don't want to send them to the dump either.

    Good luck!

    Christine

    leapingintoteaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete