Sharing my love of literacy

May 10, 2010

Make a List.... Write a Poem


Make a List..... Turn it into a Poem


It is that time of year when school and the students get a little crazy!

Here is a fun and easy poetry activity! I recently taught this to my first graders and they loved it!





1. Choose a topic. I chose "students" to model my brainstorming and poem writing!
2. Have each student tell you one word to describe the topic. I put them all on chart paper.
3. Because I was working with first graders, I circled my favorite six words.
4. I write and model the format of my poem:

Students
by: Literacy Teacher

Learn!
Listening
Make friends
Reading
Respectful
Play math games
Smile!
Have fun!


5. I ask the students to tell me their topic as they go back to their desks.

The students enjoy writing and sharing their poems with their peers!
Happy Writing !

No comments:

Post a Comment