Sharing my love of literacy

January 29, 2017

Weekly Photos

JANUARY 29, 2017

Weekly Photos

I am SO HAPPY it is the last weekend in January. I do not like the cold! I am ready for warmer months... BUT sadly I sill have a ways to go before it is spring!

I had a nice busy week. In grade 5,  I am teaching the students to find the most important details of a text. I make it like a game. The kiddos have 2 chances to see if they can match my detail.  My grade 6 students have been working on different reading skills depending on the class. My 7th graders are making PowerPoints about the career they researched. I am planning on having the kids read and grade each others this week.

Here are a few pictures from the week.:
The students partner read the text and took notes. On the back of the sheet, the students choose the fact they thought was most important from the book. It was interesting to see what the students chose.


 Here is an example: 
 Example #2: 

The second day we read a new text and I had individual kiddos write the most important detail.
The students had to match mine.
One kiddo was able to do ti!!  

 Group Two Same Lesson
I gave them an "I Can.." statement. 
 We defined "determine."

 I use Storyworks by Scholastic for lessons.
It's a great investment if you teach small groups. 
This kiddo guessed my most important detail. 
 

 A quick game of Outburst: 
 
Grade 5 - I took my supplies from my RACE unit and made a bulletin board. This strategy really helped the students respond to a text using evidence.

   

Happy Reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment